Domain.com: Are They The Perfect Hosting Solution For You? Find Out Now
Sharing is caring!
Last Updated on
To launch a website, you need three things:
- A website
- A domain name
- And web hosting services
Domain.com offers all three. Let’s take a closer look at these services.
Domain.com has been providing web hosting solutions to companies around the world since 2000. It is one of the world’s top players in domain registration and web hosting. It targets the niche of affordable, quality hosting and related products.
Most of Domain.com’s business comes from word-of-mouth referrals, and long-term relationships form the heart of its business. Domain.com’s offerings include domain name services, web hosting, email, SSL certificates, web design, and digital marketing.
As its name suggests, domain-related services form a core portion of Domain.com’s services.
Because of its domain-related services, Domain.com is considered to be a domain registrar. Other domain registrars that you may have heard of include Google Domains and GoDaddy.
If you are just getting started, you are most likely purchasing a top-level domain (which we will refer to as simply the domain name from here on out).
This looks something like example.com (as compared to example.com/page or page.example.com, neither of which are top-level domains).
We want to note that many hosting packages offer a free domain name upon purchase, so check to make sure that yours does not before buying one yourself.
Domain Renewals, Transfers, and Other Services
In addition to offering domain registration, Domain.com can help you with:
- Domain renewal, which you will need to do to keep a domain name you have registered from expiring
- Domain transfer, which allows you to move your domain from your existing registrar to Domain.com
- Transfer lock to prevent unauthorized domain transfer by somebody else
- URL and email forwarding, so that you can change your domain names while still being accessible to those who know you under your old domain
- DNS record management, which is the process by which you ensure that your domain routes your users correctly — most of the time, this is handled by domain registrars or managed services such as Cloudflare DNS. In short, there’s the user-friendly domain name, which needs to resolve to the unique IP address assigned to your website.
Choose From a Variety of Domain Extensions
While Domain.com offers the traditional domain extensions such as
.net, it also offers less commonly used extensions such as
If you’re looking for a unique domain name or if the domain you want has already been established with a more commonly-used extension, you might consider using one of these alternatives.
Domain.com offers three types of hosting:
- Shared hosting
- A type of shared hosting designed for WordPress users
- VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting
Domain.com offers three different shared hosting plans to choose from.
All shared hosting plans offer:
- Unlimited disk space
- Scalable bandwidth
- Unlimited number of subdomains
- Domain-related services
- Marketing bonuses and credits
- Access to Domain.com’s drag-and-drop website building tool
- Let’s Encrypt SSL
- 1 GB of free cloud storage
Choose from 3 Shared Hosting Plans
The Basic package gets you hosting for one domain, five FTP logins, 100 email inboxes, and 10 MySQL databases and is priced at $3.75/month.
The Deluxe package gets you hosting for an unlimited number of domains, 25 FTP logins, 250 email inboxes, and 25 MySQL databases. The Deluxe plan is priced at $6.75/month.
The Ultra package gets you an unlimited allocation of resources plus premium support for a price of $13.75/month.
Domain.com no longer asks that you pay upfront for one, two, or three years’ worth of hosting service when purchasing a shared plan. Regardless of your contract length, you’ll receive the same price for all contract terms with a set monthly price – no tricks.
Linux or Windows?
You can choose between Linux or Windows hosting. If this sounds confusing, don’t worry. Most people just need Linux.
It’s the most popular, and cheapest, option. It’s suitable for WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and dozens of other popular CMSs (content management systems).
The Linux vs. Windows choice will be important to web developers who have a web application built specifically with a Windows-based tool or framework, like ASP.NET or MS SQL. They’ll use Windows.
WordPress bloggers can choose a variant of Domain.com’s shared hosting packages.
There are two plans from which you can choose: WP Starter and WP Essential.
Features of Both Plans
Both options come with:
- Unlimited disk storage (can store all your posts, images, and other files)
- Unlimited bandwidth (can handle all the traffic)
- A customized control panel for managing your hosting environment
- Some pre-installed themes and plugins, like WP Cache (to speed up your site) and Jetpack
Both plans use these speed-boosting technologies:
- SSDs (solid-state drives) for superior speed
- A CDN (content delivery network), which boosts site loading speeds.
WP Essential: The Top Tier Plan
The upgraded plan, however, also gets you expert WordPress support from the Domain.com team, automatic removal of malware, and SiteLock Professional Security to protect from hacking.
Pro Tip: How to Get the Best Deal
Many hosts, Domain.com included, offer low starter fees for new customers. It’s important to realize though, after your initial term is up, your hosting account will renew at a higher price.
The table below shows the starting prices for Domain.com’s WordPress hosting along with its renewal fees. You’ll notice that the longer the term you renew for, the lower the monthly fee.
One way to get the best deal is to sign up for the longest term possible at the starting price. Since there’s a 30-day guarantee, you can cancel within the period should you choose you’d prefer another host.
|PRICING||WP STARTER||WP ESSENTIAL|
|Renewal price (12-month term)||$9.49||$12.49|
|Renewal price (24-month term)||$8.49||$11.49|
|Renewal price (36-month term)||$7.49||$10.49|
Get Help With Your WordPress Site
While web hosts can answer questions related to your WordPress hosting, what happens when you have questions about your site?
Domain.com offers an easy sign up for a third-party service called WP Live. This puts experts at your fingertips to help you with creating, launching and growing your blog, website, or online store.
WP Live’s services, available via phone, live chat, and email include:
- Instruction on how to create an online store (or add one to your existing WordPress site)
- How to make sure your site looks good and functions well on all mobile devices
- How best integrate social media with your WP site
- How to increase your website traffic
- How to get your WordPress site to load quickly
- Pre-launch review: make sure your site is ready to go live
- Expert advice whenever you have a question.
Video: Get a quick overview of how the WP Live service works.
Note: iPage, Bluehost, and HostGator also offer the WP Live service as an add-on. But if you choose a host that doesn’t offer it, you can get it directly from the MOJO Marketplace, which is a collection of web services and tools.
VPS Hosting For Superior Performance
Like the shared hosting option, Domain.com offers three different VPS hosting plans.
VPS stands for “Virtual Private Server.” It is a type of hosting a tier above “shared.” VPS hosting typically offers greater speed, performance, and security.
Do I Need VPS Hosting?
VPS hosting is ideal for businesses or hobbyists that:
- Want greater customization options
- Get considerable traffic and occasional traffic surges (from advertising etc.)
- Are in growth mode
VPS hosting “scales” easily. This means that if a highly trafficked site like CNN or a popular blog links to you, your hosting can handle the traffic spike and your site won’t crash.
It also means that if you’re on a strong growth curve, you’ll be able to get additional computing power when you need it.
If you’re not sure whether you need VPS hosting, simply ask the host. They will likely ask you what your traffic levels are. If you’re already signed up with a good host, they will normally inform you via email when you need to scale up to VPS.
Choose From 3 VPS Plans
There are three different plans from which you can choose. These vary according to storage, memory, and bandwidth. We’ve listed the technical details below.
If you’re not familiar with RAM or storage, don’t worry. Simply call the host and they’ll help you figure out what you need for your personal website needs.
- Standard: 512 MB RAM, 20 GB storage, 1000 GB bandwidth
- Pro: 1024 MB RAM, 40 GB storage, 1500 GB bandwidth
- Premium: 2048 MB RAM, 60 GB storage, 2000 GB bandwidth
The more resources you have for your blog (especially when it comes to high-resolution images and videos) or the more traffic your site sees, the bigger the plan you will need.
For the Technically Inclined
For those readers who are familiar with hosting terms, here are some technical specs on Domain.com’s VPS hosting.
- By default, all VPS servers run Linux (with support for PHP, Perl, and Python)
- Customers also have the option to run CentOS instead of Linux
- All plans come with an unlimited number of email inboxes, MySQL databases, and domains.
- You choose the package that offers the allocation of RAM, disk space, and bandwidth that best fits your needs.
Choose Your Control Panel
For an additional fee, customers with Pro or Premium plans may order a cPanel/WHM control panel to manage their websites (this option is not available to those on the Standard VPS plan).
You can pay for your VPS plan on a monthly basis, or you can pay upfront for a year’s worth of service and receive a sizable discount off your monthly hosting fees.
Let’s take a look at features that are available across all hosting types and plans.
Domain.com has partnered with Google to offer G Suite for those needing productivity tools, including email, with their domain purchase.
If you have used any of Google’s free products (such as Gmail, Google Docs, and so on), you’ll be familiar with the G Suite — the paid version simply comes with extra features useful for businesses.
You can purchase one year of G Suite service at a time.
If you purchase a hosting plan, you will get email inboxes that are accessible from a domain matching the one that you are using for your blog.
SSL certificates do several things:
- Improve visitor confidence in your blog, since it proves that you are who you say you are (and not a rogue entity masquerading as a legitimate blog)
- Boost your ranking slightly in search engines, since they favor secure websites
- Allow you to communicate securely with your users
If you don’t already have an SSL certificate, you can purchase one from Domain.com for your blog.
Web Design and Marketing Services
Domain.com offers you two website building options: the drag-and-drop site builder, which you can use to build yourself a site, or its professional web design and marketing service, which can create a site for you.
Drag-and-Drop Site Builder
The drag-and-drop site builder is an easy-to-use tool designed to get you up and running with a site quickly.
You begin by choosing a template that appeals to you and best fits your needs. Then, you customize the content, make any small design tweaks you’d like, upload your images, and publish your site.
All changes are made via the editor that allows you to view your changes as you make them.
Yes, You Can Build an Online Store
Adding a full online store to your site requires just a few more clicks. If you want to use other apps with your site, such as content management systems like WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal, or e-commerce tools like Zen Cart, you can easily add them using the SimpleScripts application suite.
Professional Web Design Services
For those who want professional web design services, Domain.com offers a combination design and marketing package.
You will get a five-page site that’s optimized for search engine discovery and comes with professional branding.
Your new website comes with ongoing marketing assistance.
After your site launches, the marketing team will help ensure that your site gets discovered by visitors. This includes things like submitting your site to search engines and managing the meta tags on your pages.
You pay for this option on a monthly basis. Domain.com markets this option as “full-service design and marketing,” and the team continues working with you throughout the lifetime of your contract to ensure that your site gets seen by as many people as possible.
This includes creating content for your site.
Get Marketing Help
However, if you want changes to your site, you can make them by yourself using the drag-and-drop site builder — all design services occur at the beginning of the project, with marketing services continuing if you want.
As an add-on, Domain.com has partnered with Constant Contact to provide you with discounted email marketing services. The exact cost to you depends on the size of your mailing list so that you can get started with a modest fee.
Comparison Table: Marketing Services From Top Web Hosts
Since Domain.com isn’t the only host to offer marketing services we thought you’d find this comparison helpful.
It compares services offered by Domain.com with a few other popular web hosts.
|Custom website design?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|SEO services or tools?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Local listings tools or services?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Advertising services or tools?||✗||✅||✅||✅|
|Online bookkeeping software?||✗||✅||✗||✅|
|Content creation services?||✅||✗||✅||✅|
|Social media services?||✗||✗||✗||✅|
|Graphic design services? (business logos, etc.)||✗||✗||✗||✅|
|Business phone number?||✗||✗||✗||✅|
Domain.com Affiliate Program
Domain.com offers an affiliate program that provides you with commissions for any referrals you make who purchase a domain name or hosting package.
If your referral purchases a domain name, you’ll receive a commission equal to 30% of the domain’s price, and if your referral purchases a web hosting package, you’ll receive a $100 commission.
Support and Customer Service
Domain.com’s help resources include an in-depth knowledge base and user guide. If you need to get in touch with the Domain.com support team (who are available 24/7), you can do so via telephone, email, or live chat.
You can also use the Help Center to open up tickets requesting assistance.
Is There an Uptime Guarantee?
Domain.com does not offer an SLA (“Service Level Agreement”), so there’s no uptime guarantee for your site. This is common with shared hosting packages but less so for VPS packages (especially since the latter tend to be more premium offerings).
If you need high availability for your site, consider speaking to a Domain.com representative before purchasing a package to make sure that the company can meet the needs of your organization.
Money-Back Guarantees and Refunds
All hosting packages purchased by new Domain.com customers come with a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you cancel your account within the first 30 days, you’ll get a full refund of the fees you paid for hosting services.
Note that the money back guarantee does not include domain registration fees, setup fees, or fees for additional services. You must also have paid for your plan using PayPal or a credit card.
If the plan you purchased came with a free domain name, Domain.com will deduct the cost of registering the domain from your refund if you’d like to keep your domain name.
Here are a couple of common Q&As about Domain.com. If you have another question, please leave it in the comments below.
Does Domain.com offer WordPress hosting?
Yes. We cover Domain.com’s WordPress plans earlier in this article. You can choose from two low-priced hosting options. It’s important, however, to realize that, like many hosts, Domain.com’s prices are higher once you renew your agreement. That’s why you should think carefully about what term length you want to sign up for: signing up for the maximum-length term will give you the greatest savings.
Does Domain.com offer anything besides shared, WordPress and VPS hosting?
No, Domain.com doesn’t offer cloud-based, dedicated, or reseller hosting. VPS hosting is a middle ground, which delivers many of the top-tier benefits of dedicated hosting but at a lower price point.
Domain.com offers a lot, but is this company for you?
- Offers everything you need to develop and maintain your online presence: domain-related services, web design, web hosting, and digital marketing services
- Its hosting plans, especially its shared plans, are very economical ways to get started
- If you ever outgrow your shared plan, you can easily upgrade to a VPS plan
- The support team is available to help you around the clock
- The company offers many extra features to make sure your site building and maintenance processes are simple.
- Lack of SLA (Service Level Agreement) — if you need high availability, especially if you run an online store, you might seek a hosting provider that guarantees you a certain amount of site uptime.
- No dedicated servers available, so if you outgrow your VPS hosting plan, you will need to move your blog elsewhere
Discount: Use our exclusive coupon code BLOGGING to get 25% off domain registrations and hosting at Domain.com
Contributing Editor: Sherrie Gossett