Stick to your core competency and find others to handle those things that you know…
What Image Size Do You Need For The World’s 20 Biggest Social Networks? [Updated for 2020]
Sharing is caring!
Last Updated on
Keeping track of the right image sizes for different social media platforms is a pain… but a necessity.
Unfortunately, much of the information available online about image sizes is outdated.
Why Are Image Sizes Important?
Images get cropped or distorted on different devices when you use the wrong size, which can unravel your whole social strategy.
That’s why we created this guide, which will be kept as up-to-date as possible. Feel free to bookmark it for convenience.
Towards the end, I’ve gone over a few other tools that make your life much easier when it comes to creating and resizing images for multiple networks.
The Ideal Image Sizes for the Top 20 Social Media Platforms
We want this to be as complete as possible, so we’ve gathered data on the top 20 social media platforms.
Note that in typical dimension labels, width is always first. So 200px by 100px, means 200px wide, by 100px high.
Facebook Image Sizes
Facebook is the biggest social site with 2.23 billion monthly active users (MAUs).
There are many different types of images on Facebook that you may need to create for your business, all with their own sizes:
- Profile image – The recommended dimensions are 180px by 180px, but the minimum is 160px by 160px. You can go larger, just make sure you maintain a 1:1 scale.
- Cover image – The recommended dimensions are 820px by 312px, but the minimum is 400px by 150px. This one has a max file size of 100 kilobytes (KB).
- Images in timeline posts – If you share a picture in your timeline (a typical “post” on Facebook), it should ideally be 1200px by 630px, otherwise it’ll be cropped.
- Images in link previews – When you share a link, Facebook grabs an appropriate image from that page. If you control that page, try to make the featured image 1200px by 630px.
Facebook accepts images as RGB, JPG, and PNG.
YouTube Image Sizes
With 1.9 billion MAUs, YouTube is the second biggest social network.
Here are the image and video specifications you’ll need on YouTube:
- Channel profile picture – The recommended size is 800px by 800px.
- Profile cover image – Aim for 2560px by 1440px, this ensures it shows up reasonably well on all devices (including TV). If you’re not worried about TV users, it should be 2560px by 423px.
- Video uploads – While not technically an image, it may be useful to know that video uploads should have a resolution of at least 1280px 720px.
WhatsApp Image Sizes
WhatsApp has an impressive 1.5 billion MAUs and is becoming more popular for marketers to try and leverage.
Here are the main recommended image sizes for WhatsApp:
- Profile picture – Your profile should be at least 192px by 192px and can be either a JPG or PNG image. Ideally, it should be 500px by 500px.
- Images in posts/messages: These show up as squares in the little previews. The recommended size for the image is 800px by 800px.
- “Stories” images – While WhatsApp will do the best it can with any image size, the optimal image size for stories is 750px by 1334px.
Facebook Messenger Image Sizes
Once Facebook’s Messenger app introduced ads, it became a lot more useful for businesses. Leveraging the existing Facebook audience, it has approximately 1.3 billion MAUs.
According to Facebook, images used in Messenger ads can range from 9:16 to 16:9, and should also be JPG or PNG files.
Images are cropped to an aspect ratio of 1.91:1, and that the minimum recommended size is 1,200px by 628px.
The absolute minimum width for a picture is 254px, and the minimum height is 133px.
WeChat Image Sizes
WeChat has 1.06 billion MAUs and can be useful for marketers, particularly those targeting an Asian demographic.
There are only a few places on WeChat where image sizes are important:
- Profile picture – This should be 200px by 200px.
- Article preview pictures – The recommended size for a featured image in an article you share is 900px by 500px.
QQ Image Sizes
It was bumped to the second position in China by WeChat in 2017, which is also owned by Tencent — as is QZone.
On Your Own With QQ
This is what the company does tell you about image use on QQ International:
- You can upload a profile photo and it’s recommended
- Conversely, you can choose a pre-made avatar image
- You can add a “theme“ (similar to a Facebook cover image) by either (a) clicking on the t-shirt icon to choose from default themes provided by QQ, or (b) uploading your own.
Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram has become one of the most effective social media marketing channels in the past few years and has more than 1 billion MAUs.
Being an image-based platform, getting your images right is extra important. Here are the 4 main types of images you may need to size:
- Profile picture – Your profile picture should be at least 110px by 110px.
- Photo size – When you share a photo, the recommended dimensions are 1080px by 1080px.
- Instagram story photos – These should ideally be 1080px wide by 1920px high.
Tech reviewer and online personality iJustine has over 1.5 million Instagram followers. Her account displays a careful attention to color, resolution, and image sizing.
Tumblr Image Sizes
Tumblr has 642 million MUVs and accepts images in JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP.
There are a few different image types on Tumblr:
- Profile pictures – Aim for 128px by 128px.
- Image posts – All images will be resized to 300px by 435px at the largest in a user’s feed, so 1:1.45 should be your maximum aspect ratio. The ideal size for a photo is 1280px by 1920px.
Qzone Image Sizes
Qzone, owned by Tencent Holdings, has 632 million MAUs
Qzone doesn’t provide instructions on images sizes in English. However, if you want to participate in Qzone as a user, in English, you’ll need to use a mobile app called QQ International. (This is the same mobile app that English users of QQ are required to use, as described earlier in this article.)
With QQ International, you can communicate in English, French, Japanese, Spanish, German and Korean. The app can also translate your communications in over 50 languages.
QQ International provides basic information on:
- How to upload and change a profile image
- How to change a profile image into an avatar
- How to set or change a background “theme“ (similar to a Facebook cover image).
Tik Tok Image Sizes
Tik Tok (formerly Music.ly) is growing at an incredible rate and has about 500 million MAU.
It’s based on a mobile video, so images aren’t a big part of using it. However, a good profile picture may help you, no matter how you’re using it.
It will show up as a standard circle profile picture. You should aim to supply a high-quality picture that’s 200px by 200px.
Weibo Image Sizes
Weibo is another popular site in Asia, with 431 million MAUs.
Here are the sizes for the main types of images you’ll use on Weibo:
- Profile picture – The recommended size is 200px by 200px, but anything over 100px by 100px will work.
- Cover images – Your cover image should be 900px by 300px.
- Background images – Your profile’s background image should be 1600px by 900px.
- Banner images – Every profile can have 4 main banner images. These should be 560px by 260px.
- Post images – While any image size can be accommodated, they will be cropped down to 110px by 110pxin a user’s feed. When expanded, they can go up to 440px wide. Therefore, your post images should be at least 440px by 440px.
Note that images can be JPG, GIF, or PNG.
Twitter Image Sizes
Next up is Twitter, with 335 million MAUs.
There are 3 main types of images on Twitter:
- Profile pictures – Aim for a clear 400px by 400px picture, although 200px by 200px is the minimum.
- Header images – The big picture at the top of your profile should be 1500px by 500px. It can be larger, but maintain a 3:1 aspect ratio.
- Tweet picture – All images in actual Tweets are scaled down to 506px wide. The max height when scaled down is also 506px, so aim for a 1(or more):1 aspect ratio.
The major types of images: JPG, PNG, and GIF are all supported.
Reddit Image Sizes
With 330 million MAUs, Reddit can be a very useful platform for businesses.
The small images that desktop users see beside submissions on the old layout are 70px by 70px.
However, users using the “new” version of Reddit will have expanded pictures that have a max width of 606px. Your images should be at least 606px wide, and no more than 606px high.
Baidu Tieba Image Sizes
A Reddit-style bulletin board forum, Tieba is a product of China’s search engine giant Baidu. It boasts 300 million MAUs.
Hong Kong and Shanghai-based Sekkei Studio, a digital marketing agency, states that “[T]here’s a forum for everything under the sun, the quality and quantity of posts and users is quite high.”
There are no recommended image sizes for Tieba.
LinkedIn Image Sizes
LinkedIn has 294 million MAUs, and is great for B2B marketing.
It has a bunch of different image types on it, all with unique sizes:
- Profile picture – Your profile picture should be 400px by 400px. Note that the corners will be rounded off and not visible.
- Profile background image – The recommended size for your personal background image is 1584px by 396px.
- Timeline images – Any images from articles shared will display at 552px by 552px (max). As long as your image’s width is greater than 552px and greater than the height, it will show up well.
- Business cover image – The recommended size for your personal background image is 1584px by 396px.
- Group icon image – This will display at 74px by 74px for users.
A business page displays a profile image (or logo) and a cover image across the top. Example: Denmark-based Saxo Bank.
Viber Image Sizes
Viber is a call and messaging app that boasts security and fun features like stickers and GIFs that you can include in chats.
At 260 million MAUs, Viber edges out SnapChat, Line, and Telegram who compete in the same market.
There are no recommended images sizes as images are automatically re-sized by the app.
@edpcar Hi! Yes, photo size is adjusted and optimized for transfer.— Viber (@Viber) November 27, 2012
Not familiar with Viber? Here’s a video overview.
Snapchat Image Sizes
Snapchat is built to handle most images well. They have 255 million MAUs that love video content.
The optimal “snap” should be 1080px by 1920px. They can be MP4, MOV, or H.264 files.
Pinterest Image Sizes
Pinterest is almost purely an image-based site and has around 250 million MAUs.
Here are the main types of image sizes you’ll need:
- Your profile picture – This should be 165px by 165px.
- Pin images – Small pin thumbnails show images at 236px wide, while expanded pins are 600px wide. As long as your images are greater than 600px, Pinterest will handle any reasonable height fine.
- Pinboards – Any boards you create will have large and small thumbnails. The large ones are 225px by 150px, while the small ones are 55px by 55px.
Line Messenger Image Sizes
Line Messenger is all about mobile image viewing and has about 203 million MAUs.
Your profile’s cover image should be 720px by 1280px.
Telegram Image Sizes
Telegram is another up and coming mobile chat app, with 200 million MAUs.
Images in chats are very adaptable, there’s no one ideal size. The only image size you need to optimize is your profile picture or group picture, which should be 512px by 512px.
Medium Image Sizes
With 60 million MAUs, Medium can be an effective blogging channel for businesses.
It’s hard to optimize for because your post’s featured images show up in many different sizes in different places.
However, Medium does provide some guidelines:
- Full column-width images – 1400px wide
- Out-set images – 2040px wide
- Screen-width images – 2500px wide
Try to make them at least 2500px wide for best compatibility with different devices and browsers on Medium.
You can use JPG, GIF, and PNG images.
Where to Find the Best Stock Images For Social Media
You have 2 options when it comes to legally using images without paying for them (or paying too much).
You can either create them, or find free stock photos.
Sources for Stock Images
Let’s start with the latter, here are the most popular sources of high quality free stock images:
The reason why it’s important to find stock images that you have permission to use is to protect yourself legally.
If you use unlicensed images, it’s possible that you’ll be billed (or sued) for them, or it’s even possible for your social media accounts to be deleted for violating terms of services.
The Best Social Media Image Creation and Resizing Tools
The other main option to source social media images is to create them yourself.
Many tools have come out over the last few years to make it easy to create professional-looking graphics that look great, even for non-designers.
The most popular ones are:
Simple Tools Tend To Be Drag-And-Drop Friendly
They all feature a similar simple drag-and-drop interface.
Placeit provides a large variety of useful templates including those for Instagram Stories and Posts, YouTube end card generators, and banners for Facebook, Twitch, and more.
Canva allows users to easily export to top Chinese social media platforms like Qzone, QQ, Weibo, and WeChat.
These tools both make it easy to quickly resize your images to appropriate sizes for all major social networks.
Images are a crucial part of social media marketing.
But if users can’t view your images without parts being squished or cropped, your results will suffer.
This page should help you to avoid that, and we’ll do our best to keep it up-to-date.
If you spot any inaccuracies, please let us know in a comment below and we’ll update the post.
Contributing Editor: Sherrie Gossett
- CrowdSPRING Offers a World of Artists at Great Prices
- Keyword Discovery Review: Discover A Whole New World of Keywords
In a way, keywords rule the web. As long as people are still using search…
- How to Protect Your Blog Name on Social Media
One of the first things I'd recommend doing after launching your site (or even right…