... for web design, brushes, patterns, color adjustment, filtering, special effects, and more Photoshop plugins were…
Best Photoshop Resources & Tutorials
Sharing is caring!
Last Updated on
Photoshop is a powerful tool for editing photos but it also allows you to create custom graphics, illustrations, collages, and combine several effects to create a true piece of art. However, many people are intimidated by the interface and feel lost when they see all the tools and options that Photoshop has to offer.
If you’re interested in mastering Photoshop or improving your skills, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ve rounded up the best resources to help you learn Photoshop and master new skills. We’ve included tutorials that cover the basics of this powerful editor, photo-effects, illustration, and typography as well as resources for digital assets such as brushes, shapes, and patterns.
In this section, you’ll find tutorials that cover the basics of Photoshop, from getting familiar with the tools panel to individual tutorials covering specific tools.
- Getting Started With Photoshop: this Sitepoint tutorial will walk you through the program’s interface, show you how to create new documents, and familiarize you with the most common Photoshop terms.
- Photoshop’s Tools: a basic overview of the toolbox and what each tool does.
- Photoshop For Beginners: The Power of Layers: layers are the core of Photoshop and this tutorial does a great job of explaining how they work and how to use them in your workflow.
- The Pen Tool: this is the most challenging tool for beginners. This tutorial will help you master it in no time.
- Photoshop’s Filters: filters allow you to add various effects to your photos such as blurring or sharpening an image or adding a texture. This tutorial by Tutorial9 explains the difference between various filters and how to use them.
- Retouch and Healing Tools: give this article a read if you want an overview of various retouch and healing tools that will help you enhance your images.
- A Comprehensive Introduction to Type Tool: a thorough overview of the type tool as well as basic do’s and don’ts of the most important features.
- Master Photoshop’s Selection Tools in Under 30 Minutes: Photoshop offers a variety of tools that allow you to select different parts of your images. Use this tutorial to learn which tool to use when.
- The Burn Tool: a video tutorial that covers the use of the burn tool and explains how to selectively darken areas of an image along with an overview of settings and tips on working with shadows, midtones, and highlights.
- How to use the Color Replacement Tool: another 2-minute walkthrough that shows you how to replace colors based on hue, saturation, color, and luminosity
- Content-Aware Move Tool: if you want to know how to remove unwanted objects from your images, this video tutorial is a must-see.
- Master Photoshop CS6’s Crop tool step-by-step: this tutorial will show you what’s new with the crop tool in Adobe Photoshop CS6 and how to properly crop your images.
- Dodge Tool: learn how to selectively lighten areas of an image as well as different brush options, range, and exposure settings.
The following section of tutorials will walk you through enhancing photos and adding different effects.
- Learn to Colorize a Photo: this tutorial will show you how to add color to old or black and white photos to make them visually more appealing.
- Master Vintage Collage Techniques in Photoshop: in this walk-through, you’ll learn how to use photos to create surreal montages that have an authentic washed-out or vintage look.
- Combine Photos in Photoshop to Create a “Stop motion” Still: you’ll learn how to combine several different photos to create this interesting effect.
- Create an Elegant Technicolor Effect in Photoshop with Filter Forge: this tutorial will show you how to create a simple additive two color Technicolor filter for Photoshop with the help of the Filter Forge plugin.
- Add a Bokeh Effect to Your Images: ever wanted to achieve that soft glow in your images with a blurry effect? You’ll learn how to add a bokeh effect to your images which will give you the results you want.
- Recreate a Fish-Eye Effect With Photoshop: this easy-to-follow tutorial will show you how to add a fun effect to your photos.
- Create Oil Painting Photo Effects: learn how to transform your photos into oil paintings.
- How to Make a Pure White Background in Photoshop: watch this video tutorial to learn how to create a perfect white backdrop without losing too much detail in your images.
- How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop: have fun changing the color of your subject’s eyes with the help of this tutorial.
- 3 Different Ways to Create a Vignette Effect in Photoshop: learn how to apply various techniques to create a vignette effect.
- Blending and Lightning Effects: this tutorial is a part of a learning series on Advanced Photo Manipulation and teaches you how to use various blending and lighting effects to achieve a more dramatic look.
Photoshop can be used to create wonderful graphics, illustrations, and digital paintings. Use the tutorials below to learn how.
- Create a Wavy Blackberry Style Wallpaper Design: in this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create an abstract background image inspired by a Blackberry wallpaper.
- Digital Illustration Using Birds: a great beginner’s tutorial that gets your feet wet with illustration techniques.
- Frayed Denim Patch With Stitches: this tutorial will walk you through creating a realistic denim-like texture from scratch.
- Create a Dark Knight Rises Style Wallpaper in 3 Easy Steps: this simple tutorial will walk you through drawing a Batman symbol and manipulating layers to create an interesting wallpaper.
- How to Create a Dramatic Digital Painting in Photoshop: this tutorial will get you started on digital painting and show you how to create a dramatic digital painting in Photoshop, illustrating an eagle and falcon battling it out in the sky.
- Create an Abstract Liquid Effect in Photoshop: you will learn how to mix 2D and 3D art to create a colorful backdrop that can be used for posters, on websites, and more.
- Make Interesting Vector Shapes in Photoshop CS6: vector shapes are great as they can be scaled infinitely without losing quality. Read this article to learn how to create your own vector shapes.
- Create Amazing Geometric Illustrations in Photoshop: in this article, the author will show you how to transform any simple image into flat polygons.
- Create a Beautiful Lonely Fantasy Fairy: transform a single image into a beautiful fantasy work of art.
- Create a Fantasy Landscape Using Digital Painting Techniques: another walkthrough on digital painting techniques that teaches you how to create a fantasy landscape.
- Create Cool Watercolor Effects in Photoshop: the watercolor effect seems to be all the rage today and with the help of this tutorial, you’ll be able to create your own.
We’ve mentioned that the Type tool is rather powerful in Photoshop and text can be used to create interesting effects. The tutorials below will walk you through the process of manipulating the Type tool.
- Create a Dream Design With 3D Typography: the main focus of this tutorial revolves around turning trees and mountains into typography.
- Text in Stitches: learn how to convert text to path and create a custom brush to apply the stitch effect.
- Smoke Type in Photoshop in 10 Steps: using brushes and an adjustment layer, you’ll be able to create a smokey effect for your text.
- Typography Wallpaper in Photoshop: typography wallpapers can be a great source of motivation and inspiration as well as make for powerful advertising posters. In 10 minutes, you’ll learn how to combine several text layers for a unique effect.
- Dramatic Text on Fire Effect in Photoshop: you’ll use a photograph of fire to add a stunning effect to your text and set it against a dark background.
- Colorful Glowing Text Effect in Photoshop: glowing text may not be so modern now but this tutorial will still teach you skills that you can apply in your designs.
- Spectacular Grass Text Effect: gradients, textures, layer effects, and photo manipulation are the techniques used to create a nice-looking grass effect on your text.
- Create a Summer Inspired 3D Text Effect in Photoshop: during this tutorial, you will learn how to use Photoshop’s 3D features combined with different images to achieve an interesting effect.
- How to Create a 3D Stuffed Letters Text Effect in Adobe Photoshop: this tutorial will show you how to use Adobe Photoshop’s 3D tools, along with a couple of patterns and stock images, to create a cute stuffed letters text effect.
- How to Create a Bold Floral Text Effect Quickly in Adobe Photoshop: bold typography makes a powerful statement but you can take it to the next level by adding an interesting effect to your type.
The individual tutorials mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg. The internet is full of tutorial collections that roundup the very best Photoshop tutorials in one place. Use this section to find even more tutorials.
- 50 Great Photoshop Tutorials for Clever Beginners: a nice collection of tutorials curated by Design Tuts that will help you learn how to create quality work in Photoshop.
- Photoshop Icon Tutorials: Best Free Tuts for Learning Icon Design: if you want to create custom icons, then this collection is a great place to start.
- 30+ Excellent Photoshop Textures and Backgrounds Tutorials: textures and background add depth to your photos, and photo manipulations almost always involve using different textures. You’ll be able to come up with your own variations with these tutorials.
- 100 Best Photoshop Text Effect Tutorials: mastering the Type tool and manipulating text is easy thanks to this huge collection.
- 25 Photoshop Tutorials for Designing Portfolio Sites: many designers prefer using Photoshop to mock up websites. Learn the best practices with the tutorials mentioned in this collection.
- 40 (NEW) High Quality Adobe Photoshop Tutorials: although it’s dated to 2009, this collection still has up to date links to tutorials focused on advanced Photoshop techniques, image manipulation, and digital illustration.
- 86 Best Photoshop Tutorials: this is another huge collection categorized in different sections from photo effects to type effects.
- 20 Halloween Photoshop Tutorials: if you love Halloween, you’re guaranteed to find a tutorial to inspire your next celebration and perhaps scare a friend or two right here.
If all of the above is not enough, consider the websites below that have plenty of resources on Photoshop as well as the best places to find shapes, brushes, and more.
- Design Tutsplus: part of the Tutsplus network, this blog features high quality tutorials and series that are suitable for both beginners and advanced users.
- PSDFAN: on this site, you’ll find a variety of tutorials, Photoshop freebies, and interviews with designers and artists.
- Photoshop Tutorials: like the name suggests, this site is focused on Photoshop and offers plenty of tutorials to get you started as well as more advanced tutorials to expand your skill set.
- Photoshop Roadmap: here, you will find various Photoshop tutorials, brushes, and plugins that will enhance your workflow.
- Planet Photoshop: this site shares Photoshop-related tutorials, resources, and reviews.
- Abduzeedo: aside from tutorials, this site covers all the news and updates related to Photoshop.
- Brusheezy: here you can find plenty of free brushes and vote on your favorites.
- PSbrushes: a nicely organized website that offers brushes in several categories.
- The Ultimate Collection of Photoshop Patterns: this huge collection features over 100 downloadable free patterns to add extra appeal to your designs.
- The Ultimate Collection Of Useful Photoshop Actions: Photoshop actions allow you to save time and automate some of the more repetitive tasks. You’re guaranteed to find an action or two to improve your workflow.
Become a Photoshop Master
The resources above will set you on the right path toward learning Photoshop and becoming a pro user. Start learning today and impress your friends and family with your creativity.
- 28 Free Photoshop Plugins Guaranteed To Make Your Images Stand Out
- WordPress Header Design: Are You Making These 3 Common Mistakes?
Your header is the first thing people see when they land on your website. For…
- Use A CSS Sprite To Create Easy Social Icons In Seconds [Code Included]
Social networks are becoming an increasingly important aspect of marketing yourself and your website. I…